Friday, April 27, 2007

One Sleeve Down

While I was watching the Phillies win their game against the Marlins (OK...OK... so we pulled it out in the bottom of the 9th, but, hey!, a win is a win), I finished the left sleeve. It's done! No pics please, though. It hasn't been blocked or the ends weaved in or sewn to the sweater body. It's not a pretty sight, plus my cam is on the fritz again. Hubby took the good cam with him and left me the "Sometimes I'll work, sometimes I won't" cam. You can guess which one it picked. Nothing but a black screen. Arg.

Back to the joy of finishing the sleeve: I even managed to save some brown yarn in the process. There are now 7 tiny balls of brown yarn ready and waiting for me to continue knitting the right sleeve. Oh, I suppose I have to at least try. I'll wait to start until Monday. Monday is a good day to tackle sleeves that may or may not have enough yarn to complete, right?

I simply can't do it this weekend. I have a left sleeve to seam together with the body. More importantly, I have a new quilt to start. I have decided to make my sister and her husband a wall quilt for their kitchen. It's never too early to start making Christmas presents. (Every year I start all my Christmas projects earlier in the year in the hopes that I won't be staying up past midnight on Christmas Eve trying to finish everything. It never works! This past year, on Christmas morning, I was still stitching up the matching doll pajamas for my younger niece.)

Here is my inspiration for my new knitting project: Ode to Quilting. (Many thanks to my good friend, Jen, for giving this to me as a Christmas present!)




This basket is filled with Lion Brand's Wool (100%). I plan to use as many of the colors as I can to make an afghan in true quilter's style. It will be an afghan that can use up a knitter's leftover balls of yarn from previous projects. Shapes (mostly squares and triangles) will be knit up, then sewn together to form larger squares, and then these squares will be sewn together to make the afghan front. Lastly, the front will be seamed to the back. Minor details still have to be ironed out, such as what the back should look like. I'm giddy to start the gauge process. This project will combine two of my favorite hobbies: knitting and sewing/quilting. (I suppose true quilt lovers wouldn't lump sewing with their hobby, but since sewing came first for me, I still have a fondness for it).

My other accomplishment today was building a wall around Big Brother (the biggest of my Weeping Japanese Red Maple saplings).



I'd like to see my husband mow him down!

No comments: