Thursday, March 6, 2008

Showing off my Completed Sewing Projects

I've taken a mini break from my knitting time to sew.
Part of the blame for this diversion rests on my sister's shoulders. She called me last month to say she found this fun Transformer fabric at Walmart. Why she was in the fabric section of the store is not clear. She doesn't sew and she has no desire to learn.

It was decided that we (and by we, I mean I) would make each of the children pillowcases for Easter. The kids would love it; Transformers is their new favorite movie.
Well, I have one done.


As mentioned in a previous post, I decided to make the pillowcase reversible. This isn't the first pillowcase request I've received. Every year it's a different character. This year, I decided I would be tricksy. To make sure this pillowcase can be used until the children are grown and out of the house (and to hopefully reduce the number of pillowcases requested), I lined it with plain red fabric. When they no longer like the Transformers, it can be turned inside out.


Not happy with just blaming my sister (she's too easy of a target), I'll blame Jo too. Her recent projects of embroidery, dressmaking, and button rings have inspired me to keep the sewing machine on top of the desk rather than on the floor underneath it.


My latest project - just hung up this morning - is ... well, can you guess?


How about now?

It's a fan cover. The old fan cover (a white plastic dome with magnets to adhere it to the metal fan) was thrown out by somebody who didn't understand what the point of a fan cover was. That person has since learned the chief role behind a fan cover: to keep the *%$#! cold air outside where it ought to be. Yeah, so it was me. Who knew?

To make yourself a fan cover like mine: First, go to Panama and purchase a traditional appliqued piece of fabric. Or do what I do. Have your dear friend bring you back an appliqued fabric from Panama during her trip to visit family. Trim the edges to remove any fraying. Cut out a piece of flannel fabric the exact same size as your appliqued fabric. Put right sides together. Stitch a 1/4 inch seam all the way around, leaving an opening large enough for your hand to fit through. Turn the fabrics right side out. Press. Hand stitch opening closed using a slip stitch. Set aside.

Root through your fabric stash until you find a complementary fabric to your appliqued fabric block. Measure your fan. Cut out a square from your complementary fabric, adding on one inch for seams (my square measured 14 inches). Then cut out another piece of flannel the exact same size as your complementary fabric. Put right sides together. Stitch a 1/2 inch seam all the way around, leaving an opening large enough for your hand to fit through. Turn the fabrics right side out. Press. Hand stitch opening closed using a slip stitch.

Lay the appliqued block on top of the complementary fabric block. (The wrong side of the appliqued block should lay against the right side of the complementary block). Move the appliqued block around until it is centered. Baste the two blocks together. Use a slip stitch to secure the two blocks together. Remove the basting stitch.

Cut four one-inch sections from both the sewing tape and the adhesive tape of Velcro Brand Fasteners. Machine stitch the sewing tape sections to the the wrong side of the complementary block in each of the four corners. Mount the adhesive sections on the wall next to each of the corners of the fan. Hang your fan cover with the Velcro strips.











Four layers of fabric should be enough to keep the cold out outside. Gosh, I hope.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a clever idea - decorative and functional - I like it!

Sarah said...

Smart work on both counts; Rainbow Brite made it through to adulthood with me as she was plain stars on one side :o)

knittingdragonflies said...

What a great idea! this is so pretty.
Vicki

Natalie Rush said...

That is a Panamanian Mola. The Cuna Indians make them. I grew up in Panama and have one in my living room framed. That is so awesome that you made one!! You should see them working on them...it's incredible. I'm tickled that you made a Mola. :) Awesome job!!