Monday, March 24, 2008

Easter Dinner

I hope you had a Happy Easter!

We had family and friends over yesterday. Both my SIL and BIL came over. My dear friends also brought their son Finn, our godson. We had a simple dinner followed by egg dyeing.

Have I mentioned how much I love my oven lately? It's the best oven in the world! While my ham was cooking in the big oven, I had my lemon poppy cake baking away in the mini oven at a different temperature. It saved me so much time.

I truly had a wonderful time cooking the dinner up. I was in my element, singing (poorly) along to my CD's. Dan checked in on me and shook his head in bewilderment.

Of course, the mess all my cooking made didn't leave me quite as joyful. All I could think of after everybody left was a quote from an unknown woman. "If a woman was to see all the dishes that she had to wash before she died piled up before her in one pile, she'd lie down and die right then and there."



I should mention that I had already washed and put away the preparation dishes. Plus, the dishwasher had been loaded and ran once.

Rather than face it right away, I hid in my sewing room. Certain I couldn't handle any large and detailed projects, I opted to hem Dan's work pants.



It did the trick. It pepped me up enough that I was able to face the mountain of dishes. Dan had thought I would tackle them Monday morning, but there is one thing I hate more than a dirty kitchen and that is being faced with a dirty kitchen first thing in the morning. I'd rather have a root canal.

9 comments:

Paula said...

I totally agree on the clean up after a big meal. I do not want to face it in the morning! Fortunately I have a helpful husband who is always willing to pitch in.

kasiaiscarly said...

i hate dishes. i mostly refuse to do anything more than load and unload the dishwasher. jake does them almost exclusively, lucky me :)

i love your painted cabinets, btw!

skiingweaver said...

LOL - I love that quote about dishes! (Just finished cleaning up the lunch dishes, so, how apropos...) Your two ovens sound fantastic! I'm jealous! :)

Anonymous said...

I love your kitchen cabinets - the green is fabulous! Did you paint them yourself?

Knitted Gems said...

I always giggle when people tell me that they love my kitchen. It was decorated back in the late 60's by the orginal (and only) homeowners. We bought the house about 2.5 years ago and haven't done anything to the kitchen, expect sew a new fan cover and install a new dishwasher. It's too funny that the avacado green is back in fashion. =)
Eventually, my plan is to strip the green paint and restore the gorgeous red wood (cherry?) underneath.

BeckyKay said...

Ugh! Dishes are absolutely, positively my least favorite household chore. In fact, dishes are probably the reason I hate to cook!

Unknown said...

Isn't it great how a little needlework can just cheer ya up and get ya going? Glad your Easter was a fun one. Isn't family the best? (btw, DH does all our cooking and you should see the mess HE leaves!) tee hee

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

You sound so happy in your kitchen (in the preparation stage) - I feel the same way :) I noticed your cabled pillows - I saw someone knitting the lizzard pattern for a round pillow and I thought it really looked nice and made me think twice about that pattern (typically knit as a blanket).

Jane Carlstrom said...

So enjoyed this post, thanks for writing it.