Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Quilt Frame in Basement

The quilt frame is back in the basement again. No more crawling underneath it to get to the other side of the quilt. No more knocking the closet door into it and having the whole frame collapse on me (the jury rigging is very fragile). Jake is also thrilled to see it go downstairs. He hated getting bonked in the head every time he came in to get pets or to remind me of the time (i.e. playtime).

Why is it downstairs? It surely isn't because of any of the inconveniences listed above. The inconveniences were silly and trivial compared to its practicality and usefulness of holding the quilt in place. I only had to twist a knob and thread my needle before I could sit down to hand quilt. No, the reason the frame is in the basement is because I have finished hand quilting Baby Flick's quilt!


I found hand quilting to be fun and relaxing. I even have a nice callous on my pointer finger to prove it. As this was my first time hand quilting, I kept things simple. My stitches simply followed the outline of the dragon, the clouds, and the framework within the four dragon panels. If you are new to hand quilting, I highly recommend this "technique", if it can be called a technique. It saved me from having to search for an easy quilting design and from learning how to transfer such a design to my quilt front.


Baby Flick's quilt has to go back on the machine to complete the stitch-in-the-ditch quilting, but that should only take me an hour or two. I'm so close to being done. Woo!

1 comment:

Jane Carlstrom said...

Hurray! Quilt looks fantastic too.