Friday, September 21, 2007

AWHF Shawl on a plane

After going back and forth and even asking my husband for his opinion, I decided to take the AWHF shawl with me to Disney World. I was able to knit on the plane rides to and fro Disney. I am SO glad all the airports now allow knitting needles.

Yet, they remain suspicious of large amounts of yarn.

On the flight back to Philadelphia, a lady performing the safety check confiscated my purse to allow a more thorough search. I - thinking that she was concerned about the needles - tried to absolve her fears by informing her that the sharp, pointy things were just knitting needles. Instead, she pulled my huge cone of alpaca wool out of the bag. I gasped and stared at her with shock and horror as I watch all the beads and a good chunk of yarn fall off the cone, which only makes her more suspicious. Taking my bag away from me again, she scans the yarn only to realize that it was a huge vat of - you guessed it - yarn!

My dear husband had the patience of a saint while I spent the next several minutes rewinding all the beads and yarn back onto the cone. Next time, I'm slipping a sock over the cone.

But enough about security check-in, here are pictures of my shawl progress:





It is approximately 13 inches long. The plan is to knit until the shawl is 28 inches long.

It is a joy to knit. The pattern entertains you (by forcing you to count to 3 repeatedly), but remains simple enough that you aren't constantly checking the chart.

2 comments:

Windyridge said...

Jeez smack that lady for wrecking your cone. Yeah there was a terrorist hiding in all that Alpaca.

Knitted Gems said...

Yep, that's exactly how I felt!
It took all of me to not jump over the table and rip my bag & yarn back out of her hands.