Monday, August 13, 2007

Thank You So Much for the Birthday Wishes

It was a wonderful birthday. All the dishes I dirtied while making the cupcakes were left in the sink Friday night. On Saturday morning (my b-day), I awoke to find them still there (no green elves in my house apparently). Not wanting to start my birthday off by washing dishes, I decided to take Jake for his morning walk instead. I came back to find my husband washing the dishes. No, he didn't just shove them all into the dishwasher. He was actually washing them by hand. You see, folks, his jobs around the house consist of killing bugs, taking the trash out, hanging my many pictures, cutting the grass and operating the air conditioner. The cleaning of the kitchen belongs to the cook. Thus, it was a lovely surprise!

So instead of cleaning the kitchen, I got to go play in the garden. The other rose bush is saved from the evil mower!


Afterwards, I started to prepare for dinner: ham, mashed potatoes, and corn on the cob. Can I pass along a cooking trick to you that I just tested out? Like most others, I tend to buy pre-cooked hams that just require warming. During the last 20 minutes or so, one is recommended to baste the ham with a brown sugar mixture. If you have kids visiting or time is of the essence, try this: baste the ham with molasses instead. The kids can help out with this one. Just hand them an old paintbrush that has never seen paint or anything else equally toxic, and have them dip into in molasses and then paint it onto the ham. It's fun and easy! Plus, my husband was raving about how good it tasted.

Birthday Presents: Hubby got me a bike rack and tote to carry all my purchases back home. The only trouble is I can't get it to fit on my bike. Typically, it would be attached to the bike seat pole, but I have to have my seat almost at the lowest position in order to reach the pedals (Oh, the joy of being short). Thus, there isn't enough length of the pole to attach the rack to. I'll drag it up to my trusty bike shop and see if they can't advise me on what to do next.

My dear friend got me a Craft Tote. Isn't it cute? It holds all my sewing notions.














The next day I went to visit my Aunt and Uncle. They spoiled me with a homemade dinner: roasted chicken, spaghetti, Italian bread, and green beans. It was very good. The chicken was the best though. And because they know how much I love to bake, they gave me 2 cookbooks and a huge tub of flour. (They had picked up a 25 pound of flour from Sam's Club and then didn't know what to do with it all. I go through 10 pounds in a month so I was happy to take some off of their hands).


The only bad thing that happened was poor Jake came down with an ear infection. I started him on the ear drops and wipes yesterday and, as you can see, he is feeling much better today. He'll have to endure a few more days of treatment though. It takes both of us to get him to cooperate with the ear drops for he tries to bury his head in your lap.


So, all in all, it was a wonderful weekend and a wonderful birthday.

Thank you to all for your warm wishes!

5 comments:

Brandi Hussey said...

That sounded like an awesome birthday!

I just wanted to stop by and welcome you to the Indiepublic Blog Ring - thanks for joining!

Marti said...

Happy belated birthday! Sounds like a great day! And sorry about Jake, I'm treating my dog for an ear infection right now, too. It's such a battle. As soon as he sees the bottle come out he goes running.

Tracie said...

Hee, you have the same "duties" for your guy as I have for mine. It's what I grew up on. The "menfolk" were around to kill the bugs, take out the trash, and cut the lawn. John has hired a lawn service and pest control. But he does do housework sometimes if I'm overwhelmed.

Oh, and I posted the pics you asked about in my latest entry. :) Okay, I've got to get back to crocheting samples for the classes I'm going to teach. Have a good day!

bobbi said...

looks like you had a real nice birthday, many more to you.
how did you get the ETSY buttons? I'd love to have one. I too sell there. (not very well tho)

Knitted Gems said...

Hi Bobbi,
I presume you are inquiring about the pictures of my patterns that I sell on Etsy. What you see is called an "Etsy Mini". From your Etsy store, look on the side bar (left-hand side). All the way at the bottom is a link for "Etsy Mini". Click on it. Set up as many columns and rows that you want. Etsy will generate the code for you. Copy the code from the javascript section. Jump back to your blog. Go to the "Layout" area. Add a page element for html/javascript. Paste in the information from Etsy. Repeat until you get the look that you want.
Let me know if I can assist further & good luck on your Etsy store!