Friday, June 29, 2007

My 1st Sweater Design completed

Well, truth be told, I have designed other sweaters before, but this is the 1st one that is wholly my own. The stitch pattern is mine, although the vertical striping technique I learned from Barbara Walkers. All my other designs used stitch patterns from various stitch libraries, such as Barbara Walker's books. The shaping design is mine. The measurements are all mine. I'm a little giddy over the fact that it is completed and it came out the exact size I designed it to come out. Woo!


In my giddiness, I've even hammered away to get it uploaded to my Flickr and my Etsy store.

Now, I just need to convince my model she can still fit into it. Then, I can get some decent pictures. I would model it myself, but I'm a bit too petite (**short**). It is designed for a taller woman or, as the industry might say, the standard woman.

Doing the Sweater Dance!

And can I say how fulfilling design work actually is? OK, OK, it's frustrating at times and annoying at times and it wakes me up in the middle of the night at times with little corrections to my pattern, but oh, at the end of the day, it is worth it! I never got this much satisfaction from my day-to-day job.

So, what do you think of it?

The whole idea behind it was to design a sweater that had vertical stripes, but didn't require changing the color every 2-4 stitches. I HATE Fair Isle. This sweater (when I wasn't ripping it out for the umpteenth time) was actually quick to knit. Basically, you slip the stitches in the color you're not using out of the way and only knit the stitches in the color you are carrying at the time.

BTW - More pictures of this sweater can be found on my Flickr site.

No comments: